VOTERS NETWORK ACTION FORUM
Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 6     «   Prev   3   4   5   6
Greg

Please continue this discussion on "Capital city population, housing and congestion" below.
Roger2

Hub Leader
You should not be able to purchase Australian citizenship with money. Excessive constant growth is not possible with finite resources and there must be a sensible limit to immigration even if we cannot survive with natural increase. We want a better Australia, not a bigger Australia in the name of increased GDP. The measure is more realistic when it is worked out as per capita. All the problems start with increased numbers of people - schools, housing, hospitals, congestion, water use, sewerage, pollution and lifestyle which is being eroded and with environmental (wildlife, water, soil, flora, fauna)degredation and extinction.
Bruce

Hub Leader
you have obviously come across a problem with which i am not familiar.  it sounds like there are some who are abusing the system in some way.  my gut feel is to address this as an individual and one-off event that is best taken up with the MP of that area.  i guess, Grant that i need more information on what is the problem.  do you see it as coming from a group to exploit our system in order to bring over family?
Grant1

I would like to see women from overseas that come to Australia on marriage visas not be able to obtain their permanent residency for 10 years, and after receiving not be able to file allegations of abuse to gain the upper hand in family courts. Thus enabling them to bring their family here, at the husbands expense through child support and government incentives.
Greg

excellent analysis Bruce. I will think on it and come back. What do others think on other paths? My own view is a that the government is simply incapable of managing Sydney at its current size. Trains fail, roads clog, projects are ill conceived and badly planned. There seem to be too many people and too many projects and too many cars and trucks in too small a space so that everything takes much longer than it should and tempers flare. Housing costs are just absurd. I will try to come up with comparative costs in those major towns and cities you speak of Bruce.
Bruce

Hub Leader
we have a net migration inflow, and we could and should discuss how big it should be.  However, i am sure that there will continue to be a net inflow, so what do we do about it?  My belief is that we should be directing the vast majority of immigrants away from the big urban centres and into the major towns and cities of our states.  in order to do this we have to set up incentives for businesses [including the business of government] to move into those areas to provide employment which in turn provides incentives for people to move there.  this will not happen unless we persuade our governments to set up the appropriate strategies to allow this to happen. 
so let us do this.  How?  we tell them that is what we want, AND we tell them how we think they should do it.  we have had discussions about this in the past and come up with a number of ways:
Here they are in no particular priority order:
1.  decide which centres should be targeted as growth centres [either town/city or region]
2.  plan and execute the infrastructure needed. [road, high speed rail, airport, housing estates, schools, medical facilities, etc.]
3.  set financial incentives for businesses to move out of the major cities to these growth centres
4.  determine that all state assisted and refugee immigrants should reside and work in these growth centres for a set minimum period.
5.  create financial incentives for retirees to move to the growth centres [e.g. financial incentives for retirement villages etc.]
6.  move government departments out of the capital cities.
7.  encourage by incentives for work from home to be done out of the major cities using the modern techniques now available, [expand the infrastructure to give high speed internet for example]
8.  financial incentives for businesses to move the help desk centres to these areas from the cheap labour places overseas.
9.  expand the universities outside of the major centres and fund students to attend there by providing low cost halls of residence locally.

There are lots of other things that can be done and maybe someone can think of a major item to be included in the above list.
We need to regularly push the de-centralisation strategy wheelbarrow and each time promote some or all of the above list as solutions, and WHY this should be done by listing the benefits.  i think we all know the benefits, but have to keep stating them.  some are:
a. less crowded major centres.
b. less crime caused by overcrowding.
c. cheaper for people to live which leads to a higher standard of living all around.
d. children growing up to appreciate rural as well as city living
e. less time spent travelling to and from work which means both more time available for those who want to work longer hours and more time for those who want to spend more time with families.  i.e. more time to do what one wants.

What has been stated here is too much to send to any MP at any one time.  indeed you may well have become a bit tired of reading it yourself.  we just need to decide which are the really key points of all this, push them hard, and keep adding the little extras not in the key points to emphasise the overall requirements and benefits.

Greg

Let us first discuss the impact on the lives of Australians of these factors. Later if they present challenges then we will look for broadly acceptable solutions and how to have those solutions implemented for the benefit ofthe whole Australian community.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.