VOTERS NETWORK ACTION FORUM
Chat

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Greg

Thanks Bill I am with you. I may see you at the ABC Friends AGM but may be otherwise occupied. Write a message saying what you would like the government to do for or about the ABC and explain why. Keep it as brief as you can. We have to get it down to 100 words but I can help with that. First step is to say what you want and explain why. Send it to me, greg@fairgo.org. I will check it out and get back to you. All the others interested let's have your views and maybe you would like to let the government know where you stand on this important issue.
Bill2

I have also joined the Friends of the ABC recently, and support the issue of full funding of the organisation from the public purse.  

I am also very concerned about the impact of the 'whistleblower' issue and the police raiding journalists' homes and the ABC offices.  There seems to have been a concerted effort over the last decade to minimise the information we, the public, have access to.  The information we get from politicians seems to be so loaded with either party line.

I am interested in sending votergrams on these issues.  Greg, what do I/we do?  Do I contact you directly or would it be better to generate something from this topic discussion?
Angus1

Hub Leader
If no one is interested, then close it down.
But that doesn't mean that the 4 interested parties can't still work on it.
A votergram from each of 'we 4'over the next few months may have some effect.
Greg

I re-joined too Barbara. I am going to close this topic down soon because nobody seems very interested except 4 of us. If we can get others interested and acting I will leave it open.
Barbara1

Agree that we SHOULD JOIN FRIENDS OF ABC (I was a member for a couple of years recently and have been to two of the BIG rallies in Sydney).
Greg

There is a group called ABC Friends. Maybe we should join or maybe we should develop our own "Media Hub" to lobby governments on the best way to have effective media operating for the Australian people and their elected representatives.
Angus1

Hub Leader
I for one , certainly do.
Would you really prefer the Russian or Chinese system where stories are scrutinised to ensure they are in accord with 'party line' ? ?     No way you say !
The ABC has served us well, just as the BBC has served Britain well.
Without an ABC, our news would be less International, and it would be heavily biased - one only has to read privately owned newspapers like The Australian  or the Daily Telegraph to realise this truth.
This is one institution that must be protected, enlarged and supported.
Greg

Who thinks the ABC is important to Australia?
Greg

I very much agree with this. As a constant ABC viewer, however, I wonder at the impact of political satire. Few of us enjoy being made fools of,yet ABC seems to thoroughly enjoy making politicians look like perfect fools. To those who would retort "Well they are?", I would perhaps say "Why don't you go into parliament and do the job better, with half the country wanting one thing and half wanting the opposite, neither telling you exactly what that is?"

Political satire is fun for those poking fun but very unpleasant for those being made fun of. I think this is like the bullying we try to teach our children not to do. The ABC might be better to concentrate on news and current affairs at which it is superb  and forget about making fools of the people who decide on its funding. 
Angus1

Hub Leader
We are all in some trouble when govts. start to become 'secretive' and try to avoid releasing no longer security related documents. Does this govt. fall into this persuasion - think Peter Dutton ? ?
Understandably any national broadcaster with a mandate to serve the people is of critical value to 'the people'. With a liberal govt. we have to accept that some of our elected reps. would be inclined to sell-off our rights to private media groups. Think News Ltd ? ?
How would that effect us ? Well, just watch 'Fox News' which like 2GB has become a propaganda arm for the liberals/republicans/conservarives. And they use the age old technique of promoting themselves as being 'balanced' whilst in fact being to the faaaaaar right.
So, if we wish to retain democracy, in fact improve our democracy, then having a public broadcaster is so important in providing genuinely balanced political coverage. 
Barbara1

Politicians have to cope with the heat as THEY are accountable to us ALL!
As the sayomg goes "Get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat".
Greg

There is an organisation called ABC Friends. Those who view or listen to a lot of ABC should perhaps join up. Voters who want a national broadcaster should persuade politicians to fund it properly. They should also persuade ABC journalist to be polite and understanding when interviewing politicians. Persistent but polite. Sometimes I feel for the pollies being grilled. Nobody likes that. Bob Hawke had the best way of handling it, but not many are like Bob Hawke.
Barbara1

Strongly agree with a need for this debate. Now that we again have a conservative government that DID include some members stating they would like to privatise the ABC (late last year), we DO need to keep a close watch and increase public awareness as soon as possible or we could lose a public-sponsored, balance broadcaster. 
Bruce

Hub Leader
needless to say I am positive to the idea.
Greg

I was amazed that the New England ABC was so Labor-supportive that it did not respond to our publicity for Barnaby Joyce as the best responding politician in Australia. We have no favourites either but it is good to give credit where it is due.
Because of the bias it showed and the campaign for Labor by the Friends of ABC, the ABC could take a justifiable canning by the coalition. That would be a pity.
I am an unashamed ABC fan so I am wondering whether we might form an "ABC Viewers" Hub to seek proper funding and prevent any further reductions aimed at crippling the ABC to benefit other media outlets.

What do you think?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.