VOTERS NETWORK ACTION FORUM
Chat

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Bruce

Hub Leader
I am happy to pay a little more for fuel to reduce our effect on climate disruption.  however, there is a bit of self interest here in that I think we should all have to share the immediate pain as we will all share in the long term gain.  somehow we have to have a system that will force up the price of polluting energy creation to the benefit of non-polluting energy creation.  it is actually starting to happen of its own accord as the cost of non-polluting energy creation is coming down faster than the traditional coal/gas powered generation.  in spite of this trend I would like to see the move accelerated by a change in government policy.
Greg

Are you fairly happy with current electricity pricing and happy to pay a bit more if we moive to sustainable sources, or do you believe that we must exploit all our coal reserves to provide cheaper power for ourselves and the world?
Greg

If the cost of home electricity is a worry to anyone now is the time to speak up. Costs will rise substantially with voters the only ones likely to do anything about it. Other topics of greater interest to more people need to be aired.
Bruce

Hub Leader
Storage batteries are effective in some locations and not in others.  take a remote site for instance with no power grid lines; it is an effective way to get electricity for regular use.  the cost will be less over time than, say, a diesel generator and subsequent fuel costs.  however, for an inner city location with competing suppliers the pay-back period for an effective solution is currently still too long.  however, watch this space as technology and mass produced solar and battery production improves.  it will not be long before the pay-back comes down to 2 or 3 years, assuming that the Government does not bring in legislation to protect the current old technology suppliers.  There would need to be some research to get accurate figures to support what I have said.  I can tell you that we are putting in solar power on our roof with no battery and it will give us a pay-back of 5 years, AND we have low electricity usage as it is.  Also, we intend to change our usage pattern to run things like dishwasher and clothes washer during the daytime instead of in the evening.  the usage pattern did not come into our calculations on payback period, so it may work out to be less than 5 years once we learn to optimise our usage.
Greg

I agree with you Bruce to the extent that we should be paid the same amount as the power company pays anyone else for what we send bak to the grid and that we have potential to export technology. Do you know anything about community solar networks? Are storage batteries an effecive soltution to housholds generating their own power?
Government could provide low interest unsecured loans to poorer families with a simple charge over the solar units so that if the house is sold the buyer pays out the government loan.
What do others think?
Greg

I believe that politicians are lining the pockets of their friends and donors and that  is the reason little progress is being made. We voters can change that if we chat the matter through, make wise decisions and then use our electoral muscles to persuade politicians to do what is necessary. After all, their careers depend on the majority of voters re-electing them & preferably with enough of their colleagues to form government.
Bruce

Hub Leader
the problem for Australia has become what was predicted years ago, namely that we are being left behind by other nations in building up the skills, expertise, know-how, and export potentials in clean energy.  The longer we wait to climb on board properly the new-world clean energy bandwagon the harder it will become for us to gain high benefits.  Our energy companies know this, but are being ham-strung by government policies which make it harder for them.  We need to call out more need for disincentives of old-world pollution energy production.  I don't believe we actually need incentives for clean energy technologies, but it would help. 
A start would be to raise the fees paid to households which generate electricity that is fed back into the grid.  Receiving  1/3 of the price of that for buying from the grid for consumption is very poor.  should we not be paid a similar amount as the suppliers?  Excluding profits that have to be made to encourage re-investment, then if the charge by the suppliers is not three times as much as the effective charge by the household consumers, then are the companies saying that the difference [2/3] of the cost is due to transmission costs?  [i.e. if the electricity producers only get 1/3 of the bills paid].  I am sure that is not the case.  We, the general public are being ripped off.  Costs of solar power in particular are coming down and it will not be long before it will be more cost effective to use this distributed generation than centralised generation we have now.  This is not an incentive that costs the government anything.  What is preventing this happening is government policy of protecting the now privatised energy supply businesses.  they should allow economics to dictate what happens.
Greg

Tony, What steps might be helpful to stop that collusion in the e neergy market?
Pat1

Hub Leader
Thanks Angus.  Lets have the Adani coal mine as a topic of discussion so that everybody can join in with their views.

Angus1

No matter what Canberra does, the world is heading for a renewable energy future, and no amount of bullying by The Liberal right wing can change this. So, whatever Australia does, doesn't really make any difference. Wouldn't it be good however, if Australia could develop world leadership in the modern technologies of renewable energy. With a small population on a massive continent, with extreme temperatures, abundant coastline (for wind),
unlimited sunny days in the interior - who better to take this lead ?
Ah well - just dreaming - I forgot that these are the politicians pushing for the Adani plan.  
Don1

The environment in the future is more important than short term profit in the production of energy.
All subsidies and support for mining of coal and its use for power generation here and overseas should be eliminated as soon as possible and replaced by increased support for renewable sources of energy. The Federal and Queensland Governments should not allow coal mining by Adani and certainly should not provide any assistance.
Don1

Use of coal for power generation should be stopped as soon as possible - reports from the scientific community are that predictions made several years ago about the impacts of increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are now happening, which tends to confirm the theory behind the predictions.
The decline in the cost of producing various types of renewable power is being used as a prop by the Federal Government for a policy that discards subsidy to development of renewable sources. The opposite should be implemented - the decline should be reinforced by government policy, in which case the decline in use of coal will be accelerated and impacts on earth's climate will lessen. 
The proposal to let the current target lapse without renewal at the end of 2020 will undermine the trend of declining cost of renewables, and should be re-thought.
Tony

More effort should be put into preventing collusion between generators and distributors
Pat1

Hub Leader
Electricity should be government owned and operated with any surplus energy sold overseas at profits to be reinvested back into clean energy projects.
Greg

Energy policy needs community input on various aspects of[Electricity] Electric Power- source; pricing, users, ownership; environmental impact, transition to sustainable  energy,
local use and/or export of resources.

Let us assist our elected MPs, bureaucrats and profit-oriented businesses
to provide the very best solutions to improve the lives of the Australian people.

What are your thoughts?   

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.