VOTERS NETWORK ACTION FORUM
Chat

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Robyn2

I have had an invitation to hear Hetty Johnston speak and wonder  if anyone on this forum is interested. [HettyJohnston]
Roger2

Hub Leader

The Conversation today reports that "Court opens door to domestic violence victim to sue police for negligence" (Victoria). Interesting! Common law duty of care to specific victims of domestic violence to protect them from preventable harm.

Greg

This is a very wise suggestion Sharon. One group has been trying for years to get alcohol warnings about danger to unborn babies without success. I will talk to them and see whether a combined effort might work well.
Roger2

Hub Leader
What a GREAT IDEA!
Sharon

One suggestion I heard from Police on the beat was, warning signs on cartons of beer, similar to cigarette packets...
Greg

I know I am guilty of writing too much sometimes, but let us try to keep our comments brief because they are all helpful and short one are easier to absorb.

Darija1 surely it is up to parents not government authorities to support their children.
Are you saying that domestic, family and sexual violence is caused by financial stress through higher prices with stagnant wages?

May I ask how people feel that we are going to prevent this violence right now? I understand that in 20 years when today's children grow up it may have disappeared, but we do not want people being raped and assaulted for the next 20 years, so what do we do to stop that.
You know how people have swear jars for when a family member swears. What about a "safety" jar for the violator to put $50 or $100 in after each violent episode if the person being assaulted does not want the violator gaoled?

Thanks Roger. I am, heading for today's paper to read it.
Roger2

Hub Leader
Please read landmark editorial in The Sydney Morning Herald today August 6. It refers to Victorian royal commission 2016 report with 277 recommendations. Trials in NSW and in South Australia.  I am not focused on Domestic Violence or as aware as most but this editorial seems to be a call for urgent action by EVERYBODY.
Robyn2

Thanks Margaret 3, these are some specific programs that seem capable of starting change immediately in young lives. There are several offered by Focus on Families that could be used. Whilst I can’t se3 the actual content, if they are effective, they are just what our youth are lacking in many cases - down to earth practical help.
Margaret3

To address this problem we must instill in our children that No Means No like they do in Nairobi: https://www.nomeansnoworldwide.org/ If a program such as this is given in our schools as well as the "No Apologies"  course  https://families.org.au/training  - No Apologies is a character-based sexual health curriculum and was created to help young people safely navigate the most critical decade of their lives - those years between the ages of 12 and 22. It is during these years that adolescents are confronted with choices that can sabotage their future. Young people need information and skills to guide them in their decision-making to avoid the consequences of high-risk behaviour.

We would have a lot more children and future adults making better decisions leading to a better society in the long run.
Darija1

This is out of control more and more innocent lives are taken because of someone who is paid to do its job properly not doing it or just blames others for it specially child support workers how many innocent kids are taken from us because if system is working properly shouldn’t happen. Not only children bur women, mothers, sisters, daughters are taken because they don’t have any support from authorities who are supposed to protect them. As a example I will describe how I see it you live in society where neighbours don’t have time to talk to each other everyone is harrying don’t have time to relax have a chat with your neighbor let them know you and you know them to talk over fence is OK no one is asking to take your possession or whatever, why our government is putting enormous pressure on our working class with constant prices rise petrol, electricity, food someone may say food prices are going down it is not correct companies advertise prises going down five cents three cents even one cent but never advertise when prises are going up 20 cents, 50 cents 60 cents where you see prices go down I don’t and am doing shopping just to compare prices in Woolworths Coles and Aldi. I do see many products going up in prices. This is why all sorts of crime is up killing, stealing and if we add drugs then it is disaster.
Greg

Agree with you Robyn2 that there would need to be discretion as to the number of times a person was allowed another chance. Private discussions between a counsellor and the person being abused may well be the way to elicit the correct answer on this one

Pat1 mentioned confidential reporting through crimestoppers. I wonder if she or anyone else can find out more about this as there is also a need for reporting by a victim when that person does not want Police or other action.
Pat1

Hub Leader
Just found out you can report a crime anonymously through crimestoppers.  That is a start.

Found an excellent link.  Commend Queensland in their handling of the issue:
https://campaigns.premiers.qld.gov.au/dosomething/
Robyn2

I like all those suggestions, Greg.
The only issue I can think of is that some abuse is too violent to allow 3 times - could cause death in that time, as you said, if it’s safe.Police may need to be able to veto that option if they deem it severe.
Greg

Thanks Arian3. What do you and others think about gaol sentences for offenders, suspended where safe for the 1st 3 times but accumulating, so that an offender is not sent to gaol 1st up but repeat offfending builds up a prospective longer sentence after the 3rd strike. Also what about a penalty of $100 - $1,000 legally payable by the offender to the victim for each act of violence. What do you think of the victim being able to request covert audio or video surveillance of the home to be used as evidence along with police reports and medical reports on injuries and a sworn statement from the victim taken by police when called to the scene, all to be the sole evidence in court on which a magistrate, judge or jury make a finding, so that the victim does not have to testify or be cross examined. That means just the facts of the case- was there an act of violence, did the offender commit it - are dealt within court. No option for defence lawyers to persecute & humiliate the victim to save their client. Just interested in yours and other voters' view on these questions.
Arian3

Wholeheartedly agree. It is very sad to see the headlines of another woman murdered &/or the children. A whole of community response is the only answer. Education from a young age on gender equality, relationships, conflict resolution, communication etc., is essential. As well as community intolerance of violence & standing up against it together, supporting each other. Living in large towns & cities isolates & fragments our awareness & caring for others in the community. The Me Too, Black Lives Matter, American school shooting protests, environmental activism etc., show that there is a momentum for change, that we must hold on to & nurture.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.