VOTERS NETWORK ACTION FORUM
Chat

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Greg

Who would join an aged care relatives group to monitor performance and report to politicians?
Greg

Barbara, That matter of your Mum on the waiting list might be better handled by a polite Votergram asking why she would still be on the waiting list.
We are going to form an Aged Care Taskforce if any voters are interested. Let me know if you are. greg@fairgo.org. The talk about meal cost and quality is an absolute disgrace. If relatives around Australia work together we can lift the standards far higher. If we think our politicians or bureaucrats will do it for us, we are dreaming. If they were going to do it they would have done it long ago. It is like crumbling high rise building with flammable cladding, child abuse, domestic, family an sexual violence, overcrowding, Robodebt chaos, trams and roads. The job is too hard for our politicians and we, the people , are not giving them the assistance they need. Let's take a leading role and get them lifting their game. Become a Community Lobbyist by emailing admin@voters.network .
Barbara1

Now that my own mother moved into residential care (late May), we are closely following her welfare but as I live interstate and my sister is in a rural area we are not close by, although making visits when possible. Mum has been mostly positive so far but early days yet....But am disgusted with the Myagedcare process and waiting times for a homecare package (nearly 94 y.o.mother STILL on that waiting list (as technically in respite care) despite Alzheimer's diagnosis. Barbara
Greg

Do we really want our aged relatives abused and deprived by "carers"?. It will happen to us in time too! The only solution is to become a bit more of an Active Voter. Politicians are there to ensure that our country is run well and federal politicians fund & regulate aged care facilities. Thus the problems are caused by the politicians who do not insist on adequate regulation. They would, if those with aged relatives formed an interest group in Voters Network and used FairGO and its Votergrams to force politicians to do what they are elected and paid for. There are plenty of very good MPs just waiting for voters to suggest good solutions. Over to you voters. Government treats us the way we teach it to treat us. Perhaps it is time to exert our authority instead of meekly accepting abuse!
Fenella1

The standard model of aged care has to change if we want to achieve anything at all for our elderly. Large scale facilities may be cost efficient, and many have good facilities and a pleasant environment, but because of their size and commitment to surpluses and profits, cannot provide the flexibility of care that people need. There is a lot said about 'person centred care', but this is a marketing slogan that simply cannot be achieved in reality. We need a complete rethink on how care is delivered. Yes Greg, time to take some action on this - happy to join an Action forum.

Greg

Great suggestion in today's Sydney Morning Herald p22 by Prof. Joseph Ibrahim. He makes the point that aged care could provide a very enjoyable end of life experience, but is instead horrific. His most important point, perhaps, is that if we do not each take a role in fixing it we will be its future victims. Would you be interested in joining an Action forum on Aged Care to see this situation vastly improved.
Barbara1

Have now got Jenny Macklin onto my mother's case (and she knows her personally). Off to spend a week helping my mother in Melb so unable to contribute for a period now.
Greg

More money in the federal budget. Let's monitor what is done now. We need voters interested in this subject to help form a taskforce to follow up on promises. When government promises money is the very best time to lobby for results.
Barbara1

MUCH needs to be done but the list is long!  FIRST priority is to REDUCE the outrageously long HOME CARE waiting list on which there are about 130,000 people and a wait of up to two years!  My own 93 year old mother (on a full aged pension), has now had her second assessment grading her needs as at Level 3 (There are 4 levels from basic needs to high care needs).
Even with her advanced age and level the assessors informed us that there is still a waiting time of at least six months for her!  As I live interstate and my sister lives a 2.5 hour drive (each way) from our mother's home, we cannot be there fulltime. We have both been to stay, with my sister visiting weekly and myself about 3-monthly at present.
In the meantime we have had to decide how to arrange more care for her so have now resorted to engaging a private provider at $48 per hour!  Up until now she has had only two hours per fortnight (via local Council services), to cover house cleaning and being taken to the supermarket. The extra service will add two to three hours per week to help with food prep, laundry, bed changing, bathing etc. NOT A LOT OF HOURS to get all that done!
Just recently, it has been revealed that the private providers are making generous profits as their homecare employees are only being paid less than half of those hourly charges.
Many elderly folk just don't have the savings to cover private care for the longer term.
SO therefore most of this work falls to the immediate relatives (usually a daughter or two), who often have to put their own lives on hold or have their routines drastically changed in order to care for their aged parent/s at NO COST TO THE GOVERNMENT.
Gaining a Carer's allowance is very difficult also - to apply to be a fulltime carer one must have NO OTHER INCOME! 
I personally know of numerous people who have given up their fulltime jobs in order to do that caring (for years).  
We need to highlights these issues to the Federal Government and the Opposition in this next month prior to the election.

Roger2

Hub Leader
Suggest we all sign up to the ABC Aged Care newsletter pending the Royal Commission. We need action now, not maybe in two years' time. Think about where you might be - even in  Mosman, St Ives, Seaforth etc, where Bupa have been sanctioned!
By contrast I, and others have great experience at Mt Wilga Private Hospital (Ramsay Health) in Hornsby for rehabilitation.
Greg

What would you like done to improve aged care in Australia?
Pat1

Hub Leader
Thanks for your response Bob.  It is good to know that the US has the same problems that Australia has.  Sharing ideas is always a good way to find solutions
Bob1

Hello. I'm Jenny and me 61. My mom is 82 years old lady. She looks good and tries to keep herself well in her little house in Fresno. We live in San Jose, so there's no one can take care of her. She doesn't want to move to us. She does not speak, but sometimes she needs help so much. We thought for a long time how to arrange everything in such a way that it was to be good for her, and we would be calm. At first, we decided to send her to a nursing home. After watching the nearest houses and saw what are the conditions there. A nightmare. I don't understand why payment of care services is so big. I don't understand the principle of all this. Why and for what such houses are needed at all? After studying this problem, we found the Home Care Service for Elderly People https://www.devotedhc.com/. I can say that this's the best of all service for older people are appearing for now. Recently we have concluded a contract. Last weekend we visited my mom and she seemed so happy. Although, the problem of the country this approach doesn't solve. Not everyone can afford it!
Fenella1

In response to your question re funding. Yes, the system is already set up to use the equity in the home to pay for residential care.  There is a two-year amnesty (which is a good thing - in some cases people are able to and wish to, return to their homes and they should have this choice). After two years the home is up for grabs. Families have the choice of keeping the home and taking out a reverse mortgage, or selling the home. For aged pensioners, sale of the home can also mean loss of their aged pension, which is unfair, particularly for those whose homes are only worth about the same as the aged care bond and who don't have much in savings. When you consider that aged care bonds cost upwards of $500,000, and a home can simply be a flat worth about the same, this system can affect people very differently and very unfairly - with the poorer ones losing the most.  Many are left to apply to Centrelink for 'hardship' consideration, which can take many months to process and they have to find a way of paying the care facility while this process takes place. Add to this the cost of getting financial advice - in the thousands - as well as the cost of a loan - and you have families carrying far more stress than is good for them. 
The link below is useful:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/your-centrelink-payments-when-you-go-aged-care/38196

The system as it exists - both in terms of aged care fees, as well as the Centrelink means test, is far too complex for anyone to comprehend.  It shouldn't be the case that people have to 'seek advice', just to get a handle on it.

With the group homes - the process seems to be simpler. They take the Homecare package that people would be entitled to and then there is a fee on top of that. It seems to be much more straightforward, although I'm not familiar with exactly how it works.

Greg

Fenella, What do you see as the cost of such care? Everyone, if a person in a nursing home has a home that is theirs, to which they are not going to return,  should not the money in the value of that home be used for that person's benefit in obtaining nursing care?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.